29/03/2013

Sprouts

Sprouts are super healthy and a nice addition to a lot of dishes and salads. All seeds can (obviously!) be sprouted but some are toxic and should not be consumed raw. There is also a risk of bacterial growth so be careful with the hygiene (as you would be anyway) and throw them away as soon as they are no longer fresh or if you think they smell or taste strange. You should also ensure that you use seeds that are intended for eating as some of the commercial seeds might be unsuitable to eat.

I have only just started growing my own sprouts recently, but it is so much fun and empowering to grow your own food (I am actually a country girl despite my love affair with London!). I use mungbeans and just grow them in a glass jar.

Here is Sprout People's lovely website with everything you could possibly want to know about sprouting.

Happy sprouting!

No comments:

Post a Comment